San Diego Civic Youth Ballet was founded in 1945 and has been the resident classical ballet school in Balboa Park for over 70 years. The organization continues to provide over 500 students with daily ballet classes, produce 4 major ballet productions for over 20,000 patrons, teach over 600 students offsite through our Outreach Program and continue to operate in good financial health with a dedicated staff of 5 full-time and 12 part-time employees, with over 200 volunteers. Through strategic planning, the board and staff prioritized SDCYB’s programming and will be expanding our programs in the subsequent fiscal year.
San Diego Civic Youth Ballet increased its operating income by 16% in fiscal year 2017. This expansion is thanks to annual enrollment increase in our weekly classes and overall development for our programming.
- $857,597 in operating income with expenses of $899,863.
- $233,911 of this was raised from individuals, foundations and corporations, and $550,643 in earned income from tuition and ticket sales.
- Student enrollment continues to grow, with 500+ students and most levels at capacity.
- Provides tuition-waived classes for all boys ages 7 and older who are interested in taking ballet class, as well as students ages 7 to 12 with unique physical needs, as part of our “Ballet for Me!” program.
- Ticket sales increased an average of 6% overall. The Nutcracker continues to be a great source for revenue, selling at 97% capacity.
- Awarded over $25,000 in scholarships to SDCYB families in need.
- Presented free performance excerpts of The Nutcracker to over 3,500 community members over the course of December Nights in Balboa Park.
- Performed for over 1,200 school children and Girl Scouts at our special discounted performances.
- Impacted over 750 school children through our weekly School in the Park program and in our Outreach Program, providing free ballet lessons to children in 9 urban elementary schools.
- Offered a second 8-week session of “Ballet for Me,” a class specifically designed for children ages 6 to 10 with unique physical needs. Tuition was waived due to funding provided by individual support.
To view and download a PDF of the SDCYB 2016-2017 Annual Report, CLICK HERE.
Learn more about the financial health and future goals of SDCYB on Guidestar.org, a trusted, third-party site for nonprofit information. Click here to begin today.