Bios for the SDCYB Board of Directors
Samantha Anderson, Director
- Samantha is the COO and co-founder of 41 Orange, inc, a marketing agency that specialize in online marketing and lead generation for small- to medium-sized businesses in the real estate, financial and design industries. Hailing from the agency world, Sam has worked with Fortune 500 tech, financial, and consumer brands, including Intel, Petco and LPL Financial, to shape their online presence and reach their target audiences more effectively through social media and beyond. She is also an accomplished writer, having bylines in many nationally distributed publications and online media. She holds a Bachelor's degree in Journalism, emphasis in public relations from San Diego State University.
Tina E. Chin, President
- Presently serving as the Senior Director of Outdoor Education for the San Diego County Office of Education, Tina Chin has also worked as a high school English teacher, Associated Student Body Director, Dean of Students, Assistant Principal, and Principal/Program Administrator during the 22 years she has devoted to public education. Tina brings a vast wealth of rich experiences to the table having successfully worked K-12 in both primary and secondary grades in a variety of districts: Poway Unified, Sweetwater Union, Grossmont Union, and San Diego Unified. Tina's work in 2003 drew her to Balboa Park where she played an integral role in connecting public school students to the many cultural institutions in park. To this day, Tina remains a staunch and active supporter of educational programs in Balboa Park. In addition to volunteering on the SDCYB BOD Tina has also contributed her expertise to La Jolla United Methodist Church as a trustee, and Saint Therese Parish as a Church Council member. She holds degrees in literature and educational leadership, and credentials for teaching English and math, and educational administration and rehabilitation.
Maresa Friedman, Director
Maresa Friedman founded The Executive Cat Herder after running Business Performance Management & Market Development for Halo Business Intelligence, a global analytics firm. She specializes in creating high impact changes with simple execution strategies. Her simple, no frills, and direct approach to project engagement has created a fractional CSO (Chief Strategy Officer) model that has been embraced within the technology community. She is currently an EVP of Strategy for Omni Creative Labs and most recently was made the San Diego Ambassador & Brand Expert for WIX Inc. Her clientele spans a "Who's Who" of thought leadership in the Technology and Entertainment Industry. She is known for her ability to connect with the C-Suite via Social Media Dialogue Engagement and Advanced Analytics acumen. LinkedIn has named Friedman in the top 1 percent for Social Selling in the technology industry. She was also a judge for the Business Intelligence Stratus Awards and is currently a contributor to the Innovation Enterprise a platform connecting leaders from startups to Fortune 500 companies. She writes for the Chief Strategy Officer, Chief Data Officer, and CFO channels. In addition to her work & community engagements she also is a mom to Michael (10) & Sabrina (09) and is married to her husband Mark, a fellow Game of Thrones fan andthe current US Controller for CSA, a subsidiary of Generali a global travel insurance provider.
Steven Hong, Treasurer
- Mr. Hong has an extensive background and nearly 20 years experience in finance, financial planning and analysis, and corporate banking for large public financial institutions. Mr. Hong has a proven track record in area of strategic planning and management, corporate finance, real estate investment & management and investment management. Currently, Mr. Hong is the Controller for TAC Financial, Inc. where he is responsible for all financial reporting matters as well as daily operations and HR duties within the company. Prior to TAC Financial, Mr. Hong was CFO for ATM-Health, Inc, responsible for fund raising and strategic planning. Prior to moving to San Diego, Mr. Hong, was a VP in the Office of the President for Mizuho Corporate Bank, USA (NYSE: MFG) in New York City responsible strategic planning and financial projections for the Bank. Mr. Hong also has experience as a Portfolio Manager for Northern Trust Bank (NASDAQ: NTRS) and JP Morgan Chase managing over $300MM for high-net worth individuals, pension plans and non-profit organizations. Prior to Northern Trust Bank, Mr. Hong worked for other public financial institutions including The Industrial Bank of Japan and Wells Fargo (WFC). Mr. Hong earned his MBA from the University of Southern California and a BA in Business Economics from the University of California at Riverside.
Michael King, Secretary
- Mr. King has a deep professional background, with more than 40 years in the design, development, and management of electronic systems for the US Navy. Mr. King has experience in strategic planning, professional staff management, win-win negotiation, and financial and schedule oversight of large projects. Mr. King's management duties included responsibilities for budgets in excess of $10 million per year, ultimately totaling $500M. In addition, Mr. King was also responsible for talent acquisition and professional development for an engineering staff stretching from Rhode Island to San Diego. Earlier, Mr. King participated and led a number of highly focused project teams, where his people skill and planning were key to success. After retirement in 2013, Mr. King has devoted his efforts to a number of non-profit organizations, including Ninth District PTA and the San Diego Civic Youth Ballet, and along with other activities, oversees their Internet presence. Mr. King earned his BSEE from the University of Colorado, and in 2014 added a Web Publishing certificate from UCSD Extension.
Jessica Muñoz, Director
- Jessica is an attorney who is currently serving as UC San Diego’s first Undocumented Student Services Coordinator. Previously, Jessica represented children and parents involved in the child welfare system. She has also worked in the San Diego Natural History Museum’s Education Department. She is a past chair of the County of San Diego – Juvenile Justice Commission, a member of the San Diego County Bar Association, and a member of the Young Nonprofit Professionals Network of San Diego. In addition to her law degree, Jessica holds a Master of Forensic Science degree and is pursuing a certificate in nonprofit management.